T.O.R.C.H. is an umbrella program of NSBE which encompasses outreach activities that impact non-NSBE members and NSBE members alike, especially pre-college youth in Black community. Although increasing membership may be a result of these activities, T.O.R.C.H. programs seek to provide services ahead of promoting membership.
T.O.R.C.H. programs are divided into the following branches:
- STEM Community Training – Formal classroom style education in STEM fields aimed at both youth and adults.
- Informal Engineering and Science Education – casual outreach activities, targeted at youth, which aim to show how science & engineering can be fun.
- A Walk for Education – A single day outreach activity aimed at encouraging youth to be better prepared for higher educational opportunities in STEM fields, and in general.
- Technical Expertise Services – Using our technical skills to provide a direct service to the community.
- Traditional Community Service Activities – Any other type of community service: food & clothing drives, volunteering at a shelter, etc.
T.O.R.C.H. is pairing up with the robotics club at Williams Elementary School every Thursday at 12:30 to 3:00pm. You do not need any experience with programming or robotics to help volunteer.
T.O.R.C.H. Chair |